If you don’t have the space or resources at home, you can grow your own food at the Coal Loader Platform Community Garden.
But this community garden is about more than home-grown fresh produce, for you can:
- learn about, and use, practical organic gardening methods
- attend site-specific workshops and hands-on training
- sow, grow and harvest organic produce
- help reduce household waste through composting
- meet new people through a shared interest.
Enthusiastic residents have followed environmentally sustainable principles and have been gardening, learning, laughing and enjoying the garden’s harvest since day one.
The garden group meets every Saturday 8.30-10.30 in Summer (but 9-11am in the cooler months), for the formal session, but self-timed participation is welcome throughout the week as well.
The garden is open for viewing any day of the week.
The garden is set in the ex-industrial Coal Loader site, on the old coal loading platform.
We have 50+ gardeners who help out in the garden and anyone is welcome to join.
There is no charge to become a member and basic tools and sprays are provided.
The garden was officially opened on 24 March 2018.