fbpx

Mabuhay Garden

Tempe, 2044
COUNCIL AREA (YEAR)
INNER WEST (2022)
GARDEN TYPE
Private
OPENING HOURS

Saturday

11:00 am
— 04:00 pm

Sunday

11:00 am
— 04:00 pm
STORY

I’ve been moving my garden in pots for over 20 years and on multiple continents. My partner and I settled down 3 years ago at our current location only to discover that the soil is awful and even toxic (with lead). My experience with growing productive food gardens in pots saved the day and we’ve created a sub-tropical/tropical garden almost entirely in pots.
The garden which we have named Mabuhay (which is a Filipino greeting and exaltation to ‘Live Long!” is inspired by the DIY food gardens you find in the yards and on the city streets of Southeast Asia (especially Vietnam) with a little bit of Japanese aesthetic (think Okinawa).
It’s roughly organised into 3 parts: ‘rainforest’ at the front of the property, ‘kitchen garden’ on the side and ‘Lower paddock”/back porch at the bottom.
Over 70% of the plants are edible. There are many varieties including taro, banana and sugarcane, as well as, fairly unusual plants like green grass jelly vine and magenta plant. The remaining 30% being ornamentals are mostly from the ginger family (tumerics, gingers, costus), some rhipsalis, bromeliads and a few orchids.
It’s a work in progress but we think people will enjoy it.

GARDEN FEATURES
Banana Circle, Bush Tucker, Container/Pot Garden, Drip Irrigation, Food Forest, Fruit Trees, Ornamental Garden, Recycled Objects, Solar Power, Upcycled Objects, Veggie Beds, Water Tanks, Wildlife Garden Native Plants
PLANTS FOR SALE?
Yes
SAFETY
Steps, Narrow Paths, Uneven Paths, European (Stinging) Bees, Water Features
PETS ALLOWED?
No
WORKSHOPS

This garden will not be running workshops during this trail.

GARDEN TOURS

This garden will not be running scheduled tours during this trail.

SUBURB