Penny and James have been gardening here for 7 years. Our suburb name of North Rocks accurately describes our ground, it’s a steep block of sandstone with a thin layer of soil!
After a false start building wicking garden beds in the backyard that were destroyed by our liquid amber tree, we built 6 wicking beds in the front yard and converted a fishbone fern garden to a tiered herb garden at the front door.
In our back yard we have water tanks, recycling laundry water system, native bees, worm farm, chickens, compost bins, compost bays, solar panels and batteries.
We belong to Permaculture Sydney West, which is where we source our seeds and seedlings from. They have been a great help teaching us how to garden more gently and productively.
Ticket holders can view a virtual tour of this garden by clicking here.
Please note: after purchasing a ticket you will need to request access to the private Facebook group to see this video. The video will be available until 31 May 2020.
ACTIVITIES AND TALKS during the Trail weekend
- 10:00 am: How to make your own dishwasher tablets & washing powder demonstration
- 11:00 am: Growing herbs talk
- 1:00 pm: Seed saving demonstration
- 2:00 pm: Wicking bed construction talk
- 3:00 pm: Solar power and batteries talk
- 10:00 am Seed saving demonstration
- 11:00 am Solar power and batteries talk
- 1:00 pm Wicking bed construction talk
- 2:00 pm Chickens in suburbia talk